Pages

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Blogging Through the Bible- 1 Peter 1

So I am SO EXCITED about reading 1 Peter! Seriously. Peter has always been one of my favorite apostles...mainly because I really connect with someone who also suffers from Foot-In-Mouth Disease. I've also been drooling over the idea of art journaling IN MY BIBLE. Totally new concept to me. I've taken notes in the margins, but I've never really considered making it pretty. I've discovered that I look deeper at the chapter to find something creative I can do with it.

During the first few days of the Esther study, I would read the chapter and sketch something that stuck out to me in my sketchbook. Then I saw a few posts from ladies with Journaling Bibles. With extra space in the margins. Suddenly my lame sketchpad was even lamer, and sadly a new Bible isn't really in the budget right now. Then my DIY side took over!



I put together a booklet with each chapter centered on the page. I made sure to leave PLENTY of space in the margins for any notes, sketching or doodling I want to do. I also chose a font that I can read but looks nice too. I included 1 & 2 Peter in this booklet since that's what we'll be studying according the the Blogging Through The Bible schedule.

Today we started with chapter 1, and the big thing that stuck out to me was the idea of perishable vs imperishable. Verses 14-15 says, "As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who has called you is holy, so be holy in all you do.". So many times holy living is simply making a choice between the perishable and imperishable.

How many times do we choose the perishable things? Sleeping in instead of going to church, a shopping trip that causes us to miss Bible study, checking out the newest movies instead of taking time to visit a hurting friend.

Being holy means choosing the imperishable things. Choosing the things that will impact the Kingdom of God, that will show people Jesus living inside of us. I struggle with this all the time! I'm impatient, easily frustrated, and I don't always think about how my words will sound to others.

For me, I need to choose to be holy. To take the time to wait on the Lord, be willing to work with whatever situation that arises with grace- not frustration, and being aware of what I say.

Where are you at?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com